Friday, July 12, 2013

A Girl's Best Friend

I'm a dog lover all the way. I've grown up with pet dogs my whole life and love them to pieces. I'm excited to raise my own dogs some day, although I've already planned for a rabbit as my first pet! The pet rabbit is a story I'd love to explain, but I'll wait until the future ;).

For now my family and I have two wonderful dogs named Journey and Simba. Journey was my Christmas present from Santa Claus about 12 years ago, and the first puppy I helped raise in my family. Simba was another Christmas present from Santa Claus 2 years ago, but for my younger brother that time. They both have such unique personalities and loving souls. While Simba is the playful puppy, Journey is the sweet old lady. I like to think he keeps her young and she keeps him in check. I know I'm completely bias, but they're some of the best dogs I've ever known.


This week has been difficult for my family and I, as Journey got sick the other night. She was panting more than usual, whimpering in pain, and could hardly walk on her own. Because of her old age, we worried for her life ending. Both Simba and Journey have lived healthy lives and never had many problems, so this was surprising to all of us. After taking her to the vet, the doctor informed us that she had an infection, but was otherwise doing well. It was a relief to all of us, but definitely kicked in what I like to call "My Maternal Pet Instincts".

I honestly don't know what got into me. I'm not saying that I've never cared for my dogs, but I've never followed them around constantly either. For the past few days, I have been glued to Journey in order to help her walk outside, giving her food, water and medicine, and simply make sure she's comfortable. With her walking more slowly and resisting her food recently, last night made for improvements! Not only was she walking around some more, doing her business again, and finally ate some dog food on her own (I've had to force-feed her the past few days, no fun)! I'm so grateful that the medicine has kicked in and even more glad to see her returning to her normal self!

From all of this, I've learned so much more about caring for your pet. While she may have been frustrated with me forcing her food or water and carrying her around, it was all worth it, especially when she ate some food willingly (Maternal Pet Instinct). It was also a proud moment to see her walk around with some pep in her step.

Journey and Simba
They really enjoy looking outside!

Journey and Simba are my best friends, but they're also like a sister and brother. To any pet or dog owner, you can all understand the fun energy a pet gives you. It's been a real lesson tending to her every need, but it makes me look forward to raising my own pets some day. So here's to Journey's continuing recovery and a weekend full of fun! Happy Friday everyone :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, you've really made my day!