Thursday, July 25, 2013

Profugo

Around this time last year, I was searching for the perfect internship(can't believe how fast time flies)! I searched endlessly on the Villanova Career Center's website and applied for numerous positions everyday. I wanted my internship to be beneficial to my communication major, accessible to public transportation(didn't have a car in PA), and a chance to learn something new. I remember receiving 3 offers and having to weigh the pros and cons of each. All of the internships were amazing opportunities, but in the end, I chose Profugo. The internship included several communication duties, was a 5 minute train ride from Villanova's campus, and allowed me to learn more than I ever expected.

Profugo
I remember the first day I walked into the small office area, with four workers, and honestly thinking "did I make the wrong choice?" Yes I know, I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but when most of my previous internships included big businesses and companies, it was sort of a culture shock. I knew I needed to give it some time and get to know my co-workers, even if I am a bit shy. As the weeks went by, I started to learn more about the non-profit's work, became friends with my co-workers, and loved my work. Throughout my internship, I learned how to manage website content, plan organization events, create an online store, and wrote an article about the importance of Education and International Development. Looking back, I'll admit my judgements were shallow. Interning with Profugo was truly the best choice and I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to work with the team. Although small, the Profugo team works mighty hard!
Profugo's focus of International Development included creating sustainable projects within Wayanad, India. A tailoring workshop was started early 2012, in which the community women learned to sew bags, coin purses, and wallets. While learning these new skills, the women became empowered and grew as leaders in the community. To expand the workshop, Profugo has sold these items online and done extremely well, if I say so myself! The proceeds go straight back to Wayanad, in order to continue the development of other projects. Make sure to check out their website to learn more about and find out how to get involved!


Now if the name sounds familiar, you might remember it from the "What's In My Bag?" post. As I've mentioned before, I'm not really all that into designer bags, as I prefer thrifting. However, after interning with Profugo, I certainly became a fan of their bag collection, and how could you not, it's for a great cause! The bags are all Fair Trade products, include authentic and stylish patterns(lots of floral prints!), come in all sizes, and are much more afforable than any designer bag ;). Check out some of my favorite items below!

The Clutch
Plum Panes Cross Body Bag
The Cross-body Bag
Red Floral (Limited Edition) Padded Wallet
The Padded Wallet
Black & White Set
The Bag Set: includes cross-body bag, cosmetic bag, and coin purse.
Disclaimer: I did not receive any sort of compensation for advertising this organization. I simply believe in Profugo and wanted to share some of my favorite items from their bag collection.

1 comment :

  1. i'm glad you had a good internship - i've been interning at a relatively smaller firm too so i definitely understand it takes getting used to, but is all good experience! those bags look so cute, i especially love the bag set (last picture). gotta love products for a good cause :)

    rachel x
    www.blushandbrunch.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, you've really made my day!