Thursday, December 5, 2013

DIY: Sharpie Mug

If this week is any indication of the month ahead, Christmas is going to be here before we know it! I don't even want to think about making a trip to the mall or local shopping centers. The parking lots are full, the shelves are almost empty, and the lines almost feel longer than Black Friday. No bueno.

When it comes to gift giving, I love finding little knick knacks for friends and family. Instead of giving one gift, I like to give something small along with something handmade. If you have the extra time, it's a nice way to add a personal touch. There are plenty of fun DIY's out there, but I've always wanted to try the DIY Sharpie Mug! It's both fun and useful. Think of all your friends or family members who drink coffee or tea. Probably a bunch right? Just follow my simple DIY project and you'll have a gift ready in no time!

Supplies:
Mug - Dollar store or thrift shop to practice(mine was 50 cents!)
Tape - Drugstore
Permanent Markers* - Drugstore

Directions:
1. Use the tape to draw a line around the mug
2. Repeat step 1
3. Draw a message on one side of mug
4. Draw an image on opposite side of mug
5. Bake mug at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
6. Let mug cool for 1 hour
7. Wash mug to make sure design stays
8. Enjoy a hot cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa!

Hope you find some holiday gift inspiration from today's DIY! Let me know if you try it out or have any questions. A quick tip: make sure to wash out the mug before you start! After that, you're free to draw or write whatever you want. As you can see, I don't have the best handwriting, so I'd love to see how yours all turn out! Happy gift giving everyone!

*I used a black Sharpie and a red HEB brand permanent marker. The black stayed in tact, but the red darkened to a maroon color.

DIY adapted from A Beautiful Mess.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, you've really made my day!