Friday, January 10, 2014

Dressing for a First Date

I'm just going to assume everyone knows about Refinery29. If not, don't fret. I barely found out about it last month. A couple weeks later and I'm addicted. Warning: do not LIKE them on Facebook, unless of course you don't mind being distracted all day. Seriously though, they write a new post like every 20 minutes...and I click almost every one. #sorryimnotsorry

After reading this post yesterday, I felt inspired to write about it. Similar to my post on Jennifer Lawrence's response to the media's negativity, I second this post. I feel like I should start a series of "I'll second that"...but I digress. While I may not share the same style as Leila, I completely agree with "not dressing up on the first date". My only exception: unless it's super fancy. Then again, I can't imagine why a first date would be somewhere so fancy in the first place.

I've noted before that I enjoy dressing up,  it's even part of my new year's resolutions - but, comfort is important. Especially on a first date. I don't want to feel self-conscious fixing my skirt or walking correctly in a pair of new heels. I'd rather wear my favorites: leopard flats, denim skinnies, a flowy top and my favorite earrings. I'm not trying to look boring, but I want to wear items in which I feel both comfortable and cute. Like Leila said, it's not about putting the guy in a type of "take it or leave it" situation, it's the simple idea of showing your true colors up front. Even though I like dressing up, it's not something I commit to everyday. Add on hair and make-up? Y'all already know I don't wear much make-up to begin with, so I keep it simple with lip balm and a curl of the lashes. When it comes to my hair, I prefer waves - it's easy and natural.

Now I hope it doesn't sound like I don't care at all, that's not what I'm trying to imply. But personally when I look at that outfit, I think it looks great. Sure it passes for more of an everyday outfit, but the whole look is me and to be honest, it's been successful. As long as I'm comfortable, I feel more confident and can focus on actually enjoying the date. And if more dates take place, well, that's when I can't help but put in some more effort. It's also when I start showing up late. In the end, it won't matter what I'm wearing - it'll be me.

What are your thoughts on dressing up for a first date? Do you have a go-to look? Which do you prefer: comfort or style - or do you pair them together? I'd love to hear what y'all think. Happy Friday, darlings!

5 comments :

  1. Love this soft look, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this blouse! I'm also all about dressing for comfort. Sure I want to look pulled together, but if I spend all night worried about how I look, if something is fitting funny, if I'm having trouble walking... than I would be able to have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! I have a similar blouse, but different color. This would be perfect for the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely feel like being yourself on a first date is really important, and fashion is a part of that. I also feel like people should have a good experience on the first date, something fun but not intimidating, and should dress accordingly. Nothing super "fancy" would really fit into that mold, at least not that I can think of off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, you've really made my day!