Monday, January 26, 2015

13.1

I'm in pink!
Surprise! Yesterday, I completed my first half marathon. It's been quite the journey, with training myself and pushing through a minor injury, but I did it! As I write this, I'm icing both ankles and re-reading previous stories of my first 5K and 10K. It's incredible to see where I started, but also to see that I completed a goal I never imagined I would come close to.

After my summer of trying out yoga, I had a hard time getting back into running. For motivation, I signed up for a 5K and got back into training. I still felt slower than usual, but a small part of me desperately wanted to beat my personal record from the year before. Call it adrenaline, but after training slow the previous weeks, I somehow managed to beat my time! As I crossed the finish line on a "runner's high", I decided to sign up for a half. Crazy, but it was decided.

Mid-November, I registered for the half. The next two months were full of training until my tendinitis made a come back(from 5 years ago!). The good news was I could run the race, the bad news was I had to wear my running shoes all day, every day. Let me just tell you, work clothes and running shoes is no fun. As much as it helped, I'm so glad it's over.

Race day was the best, y'all. I couldn't have asked for better weather! Mid-forties and sunshine is what I call perfection. My hands were definitely cold the first couple miles, but before I knew it, I was warmed up! Although my foot was still tender, it was completely doable. As long as I didn't think about it, it was fine. If I've learned anything, these races are a mental game. Did I mention I tripped and fell down? Yep, I was that runner. Nothing serious, just a klutz move. It happens. Despite the small happenings, I finished the race strong and in less than 2 hours(picture time isn't accurate)!

Some might say I'm only half crazy, but last year's Melissa would call me insane. Not too sure about a full marathon yet, but I'm hoping this half will be the first of many in my running journey. Thanks to everyone who gave me training advice or listened to me ramble on about running the last two months. I'm even more grateful to my family and friends who came out to support me. Waking up early on a cold Sunday morning isn't fun, but it meant the world.

6 comments :

  1. Congrats girl!!! So proud of ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AWESOME!!! Congrats on running your first half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'm so excited for you. Very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! So happy it's over haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chrystina! You should run it next year, it's one of the top half-marathons in the US ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading, you've really made my day!